RE: Problems (yet again) with Word's numbering styles

Subject: RE: Problems (yet again) with Word's numbering styles
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>, " TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:09:34 -0500

Consult the "Seven Laws of Numbering" www.matsu.nl/Files/sevenlaws.doc.

-----Original Message-----
From: techwr-l-bounces+jim -dot- pinkham=voith -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+jim -dot- pinkham=voith -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On
Behalf Of Jones, Donna
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 7:01 AM
To: TECHWR-L

Lin,

Try this (it's worked for me sometimes in the past). Go to the area
where you're having problems (pasted from your e-mail below):

> 4. (Level 2)
> a.(Level 3)
> i.(Level 5)
> ii.(Level 6)
> c. (Level 4)
> d. (Level 4)
> i. (Level 5)
> ii. (Level 6)

1. Place your cursor at the beginning of line c.
2. Press Enter.
Word should create a new step d with your text from step c.
3. Highlight step c (not just the text--get the whole line by clicking
in the left-hand margin).
4. Delete step c.
The numbering *might* correct itself (no guarantees).

I'm no Word expert (by choice!), but I think I can offer a tidbit or two
on how to make problems like this at least a little less likely to
happen in the future. I'm making a couple of assumptions here as to how
the problem might have started. Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've
had this type of numbering problem happen to me on more than one
occasion, and I could trace a lot of it back to my own actions
(legitimate actions, but not the right ones for Word nonetheless).

First, NEVER copy/cut and paste a list item in Word, even if you're
trying to reorder the items in a list. If you copy/cut and paste a list
item (especially between lists), Word frequently seems to forget what
it's supposed to do with auto numbering. If you must copy/cut and paste
a list item, use the Paste Special command and paste as unformatted text
into a blank paragraph. You're better off pasting text this way and
reformatting it than to struggle with the strange things that can happen
otherwise.

Second, NEVER add an item before the first auto-numbered item (before
the first Level 4 in your example). What I found works best is to go to
the beginning of the line for the first item, start typing the new item
there or use Paste Special to paste something, and hit Enter to force
the new paragraph.

Good luck!
Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may
also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you
may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive
this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email
and then delete this email.

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jim.pinkham%40voith.c
om