Tools: When you can't take your laptop on the plane (take II)

Subject: Tools: When you can't take your laptop on the plane (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: CEL <copyediting-l -at- listserv -dot- indiana -dot- edu>, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- RIVERAINMEDICAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:54:24 -0400

Dan Goldstein wondered: <<Sounds like the inestimable Woody hasn't read the fine print on airplane tickets, airline Web sites, etc. There are pre-defined liabilities for these situations. Why would an employee offer to personally guarantee anything more?>>
Actually, it was me who said that, not Woody. Possibly my e-mail software didn't translate the quote formatting properly. Apologies to Woody for any misunderstanding.

My take on this: I recently talked to someone who refused to check his laptop, and the airline staff backed down when he insisted that they provide appropriate protection of his laptop. That was my first reason for saying this: we should not surrender our rights without a fight, and you won't know whether you're confronting a real regulation or merely an intransigent airline employee if you don't try.

Second, this is a personal issue: I feel that if the airlines insist on us relinquishing a previous freedom (bringing important and fragile things onto the plane to protect them), then they should take measures to protect these items on our behalf. Baggage handling does not inevitably have to be a torture test for luggage, and it's long past time the airlines solved this problem.

The first third of this message is an important clarification to the original message (i.e., don't blame Woody for my opinions <g>); the latter two-thirds is way off-topic for both CEL and techwr-l, so if you want to debate the issue, please contact me privately, not on the list.

www.geoff-hart.com