Re: Looking for a senior tech writer mentor

Subject: Re: Looking for a senior tech writer mentor
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Annie Jacob <annijacob -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 07:56:21 -0700 (PDT)

> I think I am at the cross-section where I have to learn
> to balance creativity (reign it in) and the discipline of
> tech writing.
> I am looking for some experienced tech writer who could
> be a coach and mentor and a firend perhaps. Please let me
> know if you are interested.

Annie...you don't need a mentor to come forward. You have a mentor
right here...think of the person's name as "Techwr". Fire any
question and you will get an answer.

True, some days Techwr may be in a bad mood and you'll get your wrist
slapped, some days Techwr will misunderstand your question and some
days Techwr will wanna tell you about something as a response to your
question that really has nothing to do with your question. Somedays
Techwr might even be a jerk and hurt your feelings, but then turn
around and send you an actual piece of code to solve a problem that
might cost you hundreds of dollars to have written elsewhere.

However, does any of this not happen in a one-on-one relationship?

OTOH, we're always here, and think of it this way...there may be 100
writers (with another couple of thousand in the wings) here who are
active participants, with maybe 10 years average experience. That
means you have the collective knowledge of way over 1,000 years of
technical writing experience. Try to find that with any one-on-one
mentor.

So, ask the collective any question you want and most times someone
will come forward with an answer..and BTW...you will make friends.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."