RE: Obtaining contracts

Subject: RE: Obtaining contracts
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:24:26 -0400

Personal contacts are the only way I have found to do it. As another poster
mentioned, HR will push for agencies; it offloads a lot of their work.

Ideally, the personal contacts will be people that know how to bend the
rules a bit to get around the preferred vendor lists. In my situation, this
isn't as bad as it sounds; I tend to pick up smaller projects that the
agencies aren't particularly interested in anyway (they like to put a warm
body in a seat for the long term). Every so often I get kicked out in an
independent contractor purge, but sometimes I get brought back when agencies
can't fill the need.

I will put in a plug for STC here; I have gotten a lot of great
opportunities because of people I met at local meetings. Other professional
organizations probably offer similar opportunities.

Good luck. It can be done, but it's not as easy as calling HR.

Regards,

Barb