Re: Need a bit of advice from contract tech. writers, please...

Subject: Re: Need a bit of advice from contract tech. writers, please...
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:50:22 -0700

I'd ask anyone I thought would give me a good reference. Many
companies have policies that say managers are not to give refs,
either verbal or written, for their former employees, but few extend those policies to people you didn't report directly to, such as co-workers or managers whose projects you worked on but who were not your direct manager, or say not to offer opinions on vendors (if you worked 1099).

And even if someone can't provide a reference now, if they say
they would if they weren't restricted, try to get non-office contact info and keep in touch. People change jobs all the time, and your former managers are no exception.
Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

Ask for both, though the company may have a policy about putting
anything in writing.
I don't stop with asking just my immediate supervisor for the verbal
reference...I try to get permission from my manager and two-three
others who I worked closely with, maybe the QA manager, a developer,
and an upper mamager if you are on good terms with the person.