Re: "shorthand" vs. plain writing style

Subject: Re: "shorthand" vs. plain writing style
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 07:21:35 -0400

I've seen a lot of maintenance and repair manuals written this way. The
users of these manuals could care about properly formed sentences...most of
them get paid by the project, so they only want the meat. This style of
writing gets immediately to the point and is quite effective for those types
of situations. As for translatability...when I used repair/maintenance
manuals, I was working on American-made cars (back when each country had
their own separate auto industry) and the manuals (factory manuals and
Haines guides) were all written in English. They also included a lot of
illustrations.
I understand that today's cars are more global, but I don't see where this
style of writing would have any more translation problems than any other
style of writing.
Al
Yves Barbion wrote:

Hello techwhirlers,
I'm doing some research on car repair manuals. A typical writing style
here
seems to be some sort of "shorthand" English, in which articles and
pronouns
are omitted. For example:
- "Remove fuel tank cover."
- "Drain fuel tank and clean fuel filler neck and surrounding area."
- "Unscrew securing bolt and remove tank flap unit with rubber cup."
- "Remove securing bolts on filler neck."
- "Ensure fuel hoses are tight."
Any thoughts/opinions about this writing style? Pros and cons? Where does
this writing style come from? Effect on the readability and
translatability
of the text?

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
cards for all occasions)
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to
answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt