Re: The Documentation Being Put Through Qual Assistance Process

Subject: Re: The Documentation Being Put Through Qual Assistance Process
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Agnes Starr <zigrocstarr -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 08:57:39 -0700 (PDT)

Agnes...change is not bad. You fear the process because you don't
understand it. IMO, there is nothing wrong with putting documentation
under QA...I've been under QA, as well as under Dev, Marketing,
Engineering, and others. One of the things I've seen that all of
these had in common was that when documentation was initialy put
under them for the first time, they were just as apprehensive...

Don't think that what we do isn't as much a black hole to them as
they are to you. You need to meet with your new boss and attempt to
create a map that allows your expectation to come to terms with
their expectations. Your new boss may be as much in the dark about
what you do as they are to you.

Don't think of this as working within a process you don't know or
understand...think of it as an opportunity to learnm another way of
doing something...a new skill. Learning another skill or process is
ALWAYS GOOD.

Oh, and BTW...

> His only way of judging me is whether or not a deadline is met.

That IS the primary concern...what does it matter how good the
documentation is if the software doesn't go out? Hate to say this,
but none of what you've ever delivered was perfect...none of mine has
ever been, nothing that anyone on this list has producted has been
perfect. We do the best we can with what we got, and we get it out.
If it doesn't go out, it's a waste of time

Besides, sometimes techniques ya pick up by being involved with a new
process make it just a little bit better.

And

> whole orientation is from a Qa standpoint and my new hat just feels
> like it is very production and QA oriented.

It should be production oriented. It then becomes a process that can
be repeated and improvements to the process become part of the
process.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."