RE: How you take notes in SME interviews

Subject: RE: How you take notes in SME interviews
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 07:18:04 -0700

>On Behalf Of Surag R:
>>Carrie Baker wrote:
>
>>Maybe a silly question, but I was wondering
>>When you interview programers (or any other SMEs) about features you
>>have to document, do you make notes in a notebook and write them up,
>>or do you write directly into your computer.

[snip]

>Maybe, a recorder will help you in hearing the recorded details. I don't
>use it but I know some technical writers who use it. They find it
>comfortable in applying their critical analysis and filling the gaps as the
>developers may not necessarily follow a logical, sequential pattern in
>explaining things. In addition, if it is a domain intensive subject, you
>can rehear the things that are new to you and get more information about
>them, without missing them.

I support this completely but, a word of advice, make sure the recorder is
of good quality.

Of all the SMEs I've interviewed, 99% were programmers. Of these, 75% spoke
with a frenetic energy that made typical pen and paper note-taking
impossible.

Enter the recorder. Although a bit time consuming (Play, Rewind, Play
again, etc.), my recorder captured those sentences that were brilliant in
their entirety. The only downside came when the recording heads collected
dirt. Those recordings were difficult to hear. When I switched to a
digital recorder life became a lot easier.

- Jim