RE: Converting HTML docs to PDFs

Subject: RE: Converting HTML docs to PDFs
From: "Joyce Fetterman" <Joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: "Renee Bornstein" <rbornstein -at- AdvisorSoftware -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:07:56 -0400

Renee Bornstein wrote:
<< I've been researching HTML-->PDF conversion tools and it seems there
are two categories: free/cheap that don't do a very good job, and $3K+
that do wa-ay more than I need. The first category of tools produce
PDFs that are either too small to read, or only capture part of the page
(I could just print the original HTML if I wanted that), and don't have
a clue about page breaks, etc. This category includes tools like
HTML2PDF Pilot and PDFonlin. The second category of tools produce
beautiful PDFs, including nested tables, table header continuations, and
even the capability to put a Print To PDF button on my webpages. The
best I saw was Corda HighWire. However, I don't have a budget for
$3,000. I don't really have a budget at all, but might could talk my way
into a program that's under $500. Anyone been through this and found a
good HTML-->PDF converter?>>

We use HTMLDOC for the basic HTML to PDF conversion, then I use tools
from the Organic Master Toolbox to tweak the result. I did have to
modify my HTML templates somewhat to work well with HTMLDOC but it
wasn't difficult.

HTMLDOC: <http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/>

Organic: <http://www.organicsw.com/mastertoolbox.htm>

I've been especially happy with the products and support from Organic
Software.

Joyce