RE: Looking for questions to ask in Arbortext training

Subject: RE: Looking for questions to ask in Arbortext training
From: "Dan Dube \(DocZone\)" <ddube -at- doczone -dot- com>
To: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:39:31 +0200

I'd be concerned about the back-end publishing component.

Arbortext Editor is fine for authoring XML, and is competitively priced
for that piece of functionality. However, their publishing technology
has traditionally been obscenely overpriced (in my opinion), slow, and
based on old technology and standards (FOSI). You don't state how you
are going to compose the long documents, but it would be best to
probably feed it to a good XSL-FO rendering tool, such as Antenna House
or RenderX. These are much more affordable than any publishing tool sold
by PTC/Arbortext, and based on modern standards. (You will need to build
or have someone else set up FO stylesheets for you.)

Dan Dube
Managing Director, US Operations
DocZone.com

Phone: +1 603 488 5008