DRM Activator?

Subject: DRM Activator?
From: sue ahrenhold <sueahrenhold -at- ameritech -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

One of our project managers recently purchased multiple copies of a standard, downloaded it, and gave me my copy. When I tried to open it, I got an IE window describing the DRM Activator service as follows:

You can open such a document on two computers only when you have activated Adobe Reader or Acrobat on both computers using the same Microsoft .NET Passport or Adobe ID.

Problem: Adobe Reader or Acrobat was not activated using a .NET Passport or Adobe ID on either this computer or the computer to which the document was downloaded.

Solution: To open the document, you must reactivate both computers using the same .NET Passport or Adobe ID. Follow the instructions below, and then reopen the document. NOTE: It is important to activate the machines in the order shown below.
We have to add some verbiage about copy control, as standards are very restricted, and most of the people who would want access to it travel extensively, upgrade their machines a lot, and sometimes don't have access to network connections.
A little research indicates that End-of-Life has already been announced for this functionality.