Re: Style guide for government proposals?

Subject: Re: Style guide for government proposals?
From: "Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 14:21:01 -0400

On 9/9/06, Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote, first quoting Susan Hogarth:

<<OK, I know - or think I know - that if I
work for the government, I would use the GPO style guide: http://
www.gpoaccess.gov/stylemanual/index.html
But if I am writing business proposals *to* the government, do I use
that guide also?>>

Rule number 1 of writing proposals: Follow the instructions in the
request for proposals. If the style guide isn't specified, always
ask; never assume.

I agree absolutely.

However, people who write RFPs are, in my experience, *rarely* hip
enough to how writers work to specify a style standard, other than the
most basic stuff. If you'd like educated guidance about both style
and content for proposal writing, whether you're targeting
public-sector or commercial clients, let me recommend the following
expensive-but-worth-it reference book:

Proposal Guide for Business and Technical Professionals, Third Edition
Publisher: Shipley Associates (June 30, 2006)
ISBN: 0971424411

$60 at Amazon.

Brief review here at my blog:

http://campbell-online.com/blog/2006/09/09/review-in-brief-proposal-guide-for-technical-and-business-professionals/

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
Voice: 212.807.1836 | Mobile: 646.498.3518 | Fax: 866.522.7270