RE: WinHelp on Vista

Subject: RE: WinHelp on Vista
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:30:39 -0400

Hi Bill,

March 2006: "WinHelp32 will be a download for Windows Vista to assist
customers with the transition."
April 2006: "The WinHelp engine will not be included in Microsoft Vista.
In addition, the engine will not be available for download or
redistribution."
May 2006: "The download for Windows Help is still in development and
will not be available for the release of Windows Vista Beta 2."

Given that they briefly (but loudly) announced that the download project
was canceled, and that the download still isn't ready, I agree with you
that it's probably a technical (rather than policy) issue.

For now, no one knows whether the download will be redistributable, or
even how the installation of a WinHelp-reliant app will work under
Vista.

And here's the thing about "old technologies": Even when they continue
to work, they just don't bring in cash for the mother company. (Hello,
Notepad.) This is as opposed to "technological advancements," which
*always* bring in the cash. (Hello, Office 2007.)

I'd rather not rehash the threads about WinHelp and HTML Help's relative
advantages and disadvantages -- people can Google those if they're
interested. But let's not generalize as to what other writers' users
really need.

-- Dan