RE: MS Word readability index?

Subject: RE: MS Word readability index?
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "VERKERKEN Wouter" <Wouter -dot- VERKERKEN -at- swift -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:48:32 -0500

While I have no doubt there are professional educators who could and
would take valid issue with that kind of sweeping dismissal, there is a
valid point in highlighting the fact that a purely mechanical
calculation of readability -- or grammar checking, for that matter
(oops, don't get me started on THAT) -- does not necessarily equate to
good prose. Both the infamous MS grammar checker and the Flesch
readability index can be tools. As such, they can aid and abet the
writer who judiciously uses them. Rely on them slavishly, though, and
you're asking for boring and sometimes inaccurate and ineffectual
results.

Jim

P.S. -- The paragraph above has a 13.6 grade level for readability and
the MS spell checker stopped to wonder about Flesch :)