I'm sticking with WinHelp (was Re: WinHelp on Vista - a useful link)

Subject: I'm sticking with WinHelp (was Re: WinHelp on Vista - a useful link)
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:59:57 -0500

What I'm having trouble with is exactly that... the push to get away from WinHelp. Right now the only option for desktop applications is HTML Help and as far as I'm concerned, it's so seriously flawed that I'm avoiding it like the plague. WinHelp "just works"... it does everything I need and does it quite nicely. If I were to switch to HTML Help, I'd be degrading the quality of my documentation and wouldn't be able to guarantee that users would be able to see it properly. IIRC, even now, many Microsoft products still embed WinHelp calls because HTML Help doesn't do all of the things they need it to do. So what are they going to do for those applications post-Vista?? I'm not sure they're going to budget for a conversion project for every one of 'em. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the installation packages for those applications will include either an installation of the WinHelp engine or a forced download and installation of it.

If I have to kluge to add a download of the WinHelp engine to the installation package, that's only one kluge... if I switched to HTML Help, I'd have to compromise many of my standards and adopt multiple kluges (formatted popups with embedded links and non-scrolling regions).

Let's face it... Microsoft deprecated WinHelp and switched to HTML Help as one of its justifications for embedding HTML rendering into the operating system when they went all out to kick Netscape's keister. What they came up with is a sad excuse for a documentation product but they did manage to kill Netscape.

I haven't found any way that HTML Help adds value to my documentation projects over WinHelp. I'm sticking with WinHelp.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer