Still need help with InDesign hyperlinks

Subject: Still need help with InDesign hyperlinks
From: siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwhirlers)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:25:14 +0000

On another thread, I've been hashing out a problem I'm having importing RTF files with hyperlinks into InDesign. My RTF is generated by Doxygen directly from code, and includes hundreds of hyperlinks. I need to retain those hyperlinks when importing/placing into InDesign CS 2. Unfortunately, if I import the RTF directly, I get gobbledegook like

RTFDocVisitor::visit(DocWhiteSpace)
RTFDocVisitor::visit(DocWord)inRTFDocVisitor::visit(DocWhiteSpace)

640 pages of it, to be precise.

When I import the RTF into Word, the hyperlinks work fine. I then save the Word file BACK to an RTF file, and when I import either the Word file or the Word-to-RTF file, everything *looks* just fine. Except that the hyperlinks have all lost their links. The text is still formatting correctly: blue font with a single underline. But there are no hyplerlinks attached to that text.

It's very difficult and "unintuitive" to add hyperlinks to an InDesign document; adding several hundred is a daunting task. I'm afraid there will be many errors creeping in. Before I start manually adding all these hyperlinks back, I would like to know if any expert InDesign users here have confronted this problem and solved it.

The Adobe user forums do not appear to address this issue at all.

Thanks for your time.

Sarah