Re: single source: framemaker / uncompiled HTML-based help - RoboHelp?

Subject: Re: single source: framemaker / uncompiled HTML-based help - RoboHelp?
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:30:43 -0400

Hi, Lara :-)

I am working for a small high tech company in Richmond, BC, Canada, and I want to provide a usable context-sensitive HTML-based help system for a web based application. So far, I've started in FrameMaker on the print version, using conditional text to enable me to do an administrator's guide and user's guide (much less functionality in the application for 'user' audience) from the same source, plus an "online" condition for administrator help content. I had thought to use Frame->MIF->RoboHelpHTML to get the help system but our development team wants it automated using the command line so they can integrate the help creation into existing unattended build system. Their ultimate goal is a command-line script that will take my FrameMaker files and produce web help, with index and search, like the help I can create with RoboHelpHTML manually.

Just FYI...Frame > MIF > RHH is not the best way to go.

Some challenges/questions:
- does anyone know how to run RoboHelpHTML from the command line?

It isn't possible.

- what tools (other then these ones if I'm on an impossible quest) would you suggest? (assume for a moment we scrap either one or both Frame and RoboHelpHTML)? eg. Author IT can import MIF, for example)

If you want to stay with Frame, look into Mif2Go
(http://www.omsys.com) or WebWorks ePublisher
(http://www.webworks.com). Both will get you out of the Frame > MIF >
RHH cycle, and you'll be able to produce the outputs you want by
opening the appropriate application. (After setting everything up,
that's it. No double more duty.)

AuthorIT is a solution if you don't want to use Frame any longer.

- has anyone done anything like this?

Lots of folks do. Command-line compilation lets the developers produce
the Help when they need it.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com