Re: I'm sticking with WinHelp (was Re: WinHelp on Vista - a

Subject: Re: I'm sticking with WinHelp (was Re: WinHelp on Vista - a
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 02:59:57 -0500

----- Original Message ----- Message: 22
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:01:03 -0700
From: "Mike Hamilton" <mhamilton -at- madcapsoftware -dot- com>
usefullink)

*** Post by a Tool Vendor ***

<snip>
Just a point of order here, WinHelp on Vista is the mythical format as nobody has seen the new WinHelp engine that is supposed to be coming for this new OS. At the same time, demos of Vista Help have been up and running for the world to see for well over a year (and longer for those under NDA with Microsoft).

Mike Starr replies...
I'm considering the Vista Help a mythical format because the average technical writer doesn't have the ability to develop documentation in that format. From my perspective, that makes it vaporware.

The other problem that I see is that the WinHelp format, with its unrestricted macro support is a HUGE security risk and with Microsoft's focus on security for the Vista OS I wouldn't expect the new WinHelp engine to support everything that the older ones have. This is purely my speculation, but it may be severly crippled in capabilities to plug some security holes.

I am not the only one to see the problems with security in WinHelp, here is a post made by one of the Microsoft Help MVPs on one of the Microsoft blogs on the subject:
"As has been pointed out, WinHelp does pose a substantial security risk. Virtually anything can be run using its extensive macro capabilities."
And at the Writer's UA show this year there was a presentation that focused exclusivey on security issues as they apply to online help and the presentation was not kind to WinHelp.

Mike Starr responds:

And CHM help is better how?? Meanwhile, I'm not aware of any "in the wild" WinHelp exploits. Yes, I'm sure it's theoretically insecure but the script kiddies have had ample opportunities to attempt to exploit those vulnerabilities. If I'm distributing the help file as part of an application install, I already have more than enough capability of exploiting your system that I don't need to do it via WinHelp. In order for a script kiddie to exploit a system via WinHelp, they'd probably first have to get an unsuspecting innocent to download a .hlp file, then get them to access the proper topic in it.

<snip>
Now, for full disclosure I am in the business of selling help authoring tools so take my words with a grain of salt. Having read my points above you may still have a valid reasoning/case for using WinHelp with your environment and customers, however I would highly recomend having a strong back up plan just in case. My crystal ball isn't always perfect but I can see the day that the first virus is found that impacts the Vista OS through a security loophole caused by the WinHelp viewer and the very next day there could be a Windows Update that removes it from everyone's OS once and for all.

Mike Starr responds:

And to further disclose, MadCap Flare doesn't support WinHelp. If Microsoft allowed WinHelp in Vista, MadCap would have to do a hurry-up implementation of WinHelp in order to remain viable in the marketplace.

Mike Hamilton
V.P. Product Management
MadCap Software
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer