Hiring Discrimination

Subject: Hiring Discrimination
From: "Sam Stuhlman" <Sam -dot- Stuhlman -at- w7optics -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:37:54 -0400

>Kenpo wrote:
>At a previous employer, the tech pubs mgr (a lady) hired ONLY women for
>the department of about a 15 or 16 writers, illustrators and
formatters.
>A token male showed up once in awhile for "show", but inevitably, it
was
>a woman who got the job. There was no (sexual) hanky-panky, but no men
>were going to be hired in. And management simply either never noticed
or
>didn't care. (Fairly large company with offices worldwide.)

I've been in this situation many times. I had the right skills, I had a
great interview, and a few times even had some specialized skill that
they were asking for--and didn't get the job. It happened recently--the
hiring manager is female and all but one of the group are female. I knew
a couple people from previous jobs.

The interview went well and I was told that "they loved me". However,
the hiring manager has a history (I know from previous jobs) of hiring
only women. A woman got the job. (I know her too.) I do admit that I
come off as "strong willed" sometimes and that can intimidate people who
are control freaks. Is it discrimation? Probably. Especially when the
person they hired would not have been able to travel as the job
required. Is it actionable? No.

It has happened enough times in my life that I refer to it as "a
plumbing problem." I come back from an interview and say to my wife, "I
have the skills, but there may be a plumbing problem with getting the
job."