Re: Project management resources

Subject: Re: Project management resources
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Gretchen Stahmer Demoss <gstahmer -at- vernier -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:10:02 -0700 (PDT)

Gretchen:

JoAnn Hacko's book is probably the best TW project management book.

I used to attend local chapter PMI meetings (Project Management Institute) to try and gather info on how to manage a TW project. What they told me was that project management is all about specifying WHAT needs to be done - not HOW it is to be done. I other words, the PM says that, for example, estimating needs to be done; but, the PM does not specify HOW to go about estimating. This was of little help to me, so I no longer attend PMI meetings.

Richard Lewis

Gretchen Stahmer Demoss <gstahmer -at- vernier -dot- com> wrote:
I have been given a major project that involves the rewrite of a number
of our manuals. It's important that I do this right, and I deliver on
time. It's the most complicated project I've worked on so far, and it
looks like I'm going to need to do some serious planning to pull this
off. Can any of you suggest some resources that I can use to learn more
about the process of project management and help me figure out all of
the steps that it's going to take to get this project finished?

Thanks,

Gretchen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gretchen Stahmer DeMoss
Technical Publications Manager
Vernier Software & Technology
13979 SW Millikan Way
Beaverton, OR 97005-2886
www.vernier.com
phone: (503) 277-2299 or (888) 837-6437
fax: (503) 277-2440

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tech44writer%40yahoo.com