RE: Broken cross-references in PDFs

Subject: RE: Broken cross-references in PDFs
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "C L" <cll01821 -at- lycos -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:38:32 -0600

C L wrote:

<snip>
> In Shlomo's posting of 9/7/2006, he said: "If the
> expected link is
> simply not present in the PDF (but other links/bookmarks
> do exist),
> this has to do with the cross-reference being part of a text
> inset." What's not clear to me from this posting is whether it's
> impossible to create working links when a cross-reference
> is part of a
> text inset.
>

> All help will be appreciated, as always

Xrefs within text insets don't become working links in PDF, a defect
that annoys me greatly. The workaround is doable, but fraught with peril
(it can be scripted to make it less so; this is the manual process).
When you're ready to create the PDF:

1) Open all the files in your book and save them all.

2) In each file that contains text insets, double-click a text inset,
select Convert to Text, select All Text Insets, and click Convert.

3) Create the PDF as usual.

4) Close all files *without saving*!!

If you screw up step 4, be thankful that you did step 1 right -- your
*.backup.fm files still have the live text insets.

Or you can use hyperlinks, as Fred just suggested -- but that's a pain,
too. :-}

Changing subjects: This message came to me with all text centered. I've
been getting more and more messages from the list with odd spacing, odd
indenting, etc., but now centered text? I'm wondering what's next. And
I'm wondering if it's me, the list, or the senders.

Are other people seeing these formatting oddities? Are more people
sending HTML or RTF instead of plain text, or using oddball mail
clients, like <shudder /> Lotus Notes?

Oh, well ... happy weekend, all!

Richard

------