RE: If you don't want people to know your age...

Subject: RE: If you don't want people to know your age...
From: "Doug Grossman" <Doug -dot- Grossman -at- sas -dot- com>
To: "Susan Hogarth" <shogarth -at- scimetrika -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:38:27 -0400

In the example I gave earlier, if I use "douggrossman92 -at- aol -dot- com," and the person reading it can do basic math, would they stop considering me immediately because they actually thought that I was either 92 years old or 14 years old? Highly unlikely.

A better way to distinguish someone's age is to look at the years in the body of their resume---what year they graduated from college, for example---if they give that information. One might assume that they were 21 or 22 when they received their Bachelor's, and then "do the math" from there. Even that is far from foolproof, these days especially, because so many people go to college later in life now.

Or maybe the real issue is that one shouldn't really be trying to figure out someone's age, in the first place?