Re: Why is it...

Subject: Re: Why is it...
From: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Susan Hogarth" <shogarth -at- scimetrika -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:19:26 -0400

On 10/3/06, Susan Hogarth <shogarth -at- scimetrika -dot- com> wrote:

Why is it. that when I'm writing, editing seems so easy, and when I'm
editing, I grumble that the person writing had the much easier job? Eh?

If you're like me, it's because when you're writing and you think
about editing, you think about the small-scale stuff that editing
entails (punctuation, spelling, individual word choices), but when you
get to actually editing, you end up needing to focus on much more
macro issues, which require a LOT of brain power (flow of information,
length of online help topic content, consistency and accuracy of
content, larger-scale word choices and sentence order).

I like the minute scale editing, but don't much care for the bigger
stuff. Makes my head hurt. And seems neverending. You can always find
things to improve on the bigger scale.

My favorite-ever former coworker, colleague, good friend, and fellow
editing. I wish I could be more like she is in that regard!

--
-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com