Re: Advice on document folder structure in ClearCase

Subject: Re: Advice on document folder structure in ClearCase
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: lorraine -at- lorraineflynn -dot- com
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:55:10 -0400

Hi Lorraine:

Do you know if your company will purchase the rest of the toolset? If they
will, the names will need to be replicated across the RUP toolset, which
could make a difference. Your developers may also use the Rational Tools to
store and work on their code, their tests, and builds.

Also, unless this is the only project that will be managed in Clearcase, it
is a good idea to make the top name in the directory the project name.

So, if you have a full complement of software development folks, you may
want:

ProjectName
- Architecture
- Builds
- CodeBase
- QA
- Requirements
- Use Cases
- System Requirements
- User Requirements
- Project Management
- Business Case
- Documentation

I hope this helps. I've worked on several RUP-based software development
projects where I managed the software and used the RequisitePro tool, as
well as all the other stuff (Clearquest, TestManager, etc.).

PT

On 10/4/06, lorraine -at- lorraineflynn -dot- com <lorraine -at- lorraineflynn -dot- com> wrote:

Hi All

I just got a new job as a (sole) writer for a large city software project.
Their documents are scattered all over the place. They want to use RUP
although the only RUP tool they are using is ClearCase. Can anyone suggest
a good folder structure for documentation within ClearCase. Would it make
sense to do the following - create folders according to RUP template
categories (more or less):

Business
Requirements
Project Management
Development
Testing and Quality
Deployment
End User
Vendor Documents

Thanks for any help you can offer. I am new to RUP.

lorraine at lorraineflynn dot com

pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!