RE: WG: Newbie question - GUI terminology

Subject: RE: WG: Newbie question - GUI terminology
From: "Robert Landry" <robert -dot- landry -at- rapt -dot- com>
To: <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:50:16 -0700

I had this discussion earlier in my career with someone who wouldn't let
go of the "appears" issue. The word "appear" is usually used in what I
call a "response" in a procedure and is the alternative to the "is
displayed" construction. For example...

1. Click Choose Filters. The Choose Filters dialog box appears.
(there was no magic...the user clicked "Choose Filter") It was the
result of a user action.

Now if your first sentence is, for example, "The Choose filter dialog
box appears on your desktop," that's where it wouldn't make much sense.

I avoid it all and go with the "Click Choose Filters to display the
Choose Filters dialog box" style.

But it's Monday and I'd rather be outside...

Robert J. Landry
Senior Technical Writer
Rapt Inc.
415-932-2687 (office)