Re: Hard to Revise a UI?

Subject: Re: Hard to Revise a UI?
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:26:19 -0400

It depends. (Could there be any other answer?)

If the UI text is in resource files (i.e. for translation) it's pretty easy. If its embedded layers deep and is built on the fly, it could be more difficult. However, in my experience, it's usually more inconvenient than difficult.

My 2¢,

John

Nancy Allison wrote:

A final question. Is it really burdensome to change the wording in a UI? If a prompt is vaguely worded, or if something is misspelled, is it very hard for a developer to correct it? I was once told that a change I proposed would be "too expensive." It involved changing the wording in a single popup box, and it would have made a huge difference to the usability of the UI.

Is it really that hard to change a text string? (I think I know the answer . . . .)

Thanks again!

--Nancy