Re: Reverse engineering processes

Subject: Re: Reverse engineering processes
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Lorraine Flynn <lorraine -at- lorraineflynn -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

Lorraine:

RUP is a comercial implementation of the Unified Modeling Language (UML). The UML was developed to create the necessary models (functional, data, etc.) for object oriented software projects. The functional modeling tool in the UML (RUP) is called Use Cases (even though there is nothing really object oriented about Use Cases).

I belong to the requirements engineering listserv and we have discussed the pros and cons of Use Cases alot. While Use Cases are of use (sorry, no pun intended) - they have a major flaw which directly relates to what you are trying to do. In your reverse engineering, you are trying to do an end-to-end flow. The problem with Use Cases is in trying to tie them all together. Data Flow Diagrams naturally tie together, Use Cases don't. This is an especially big problem if the system is of significant size.

Richard Lewis

Lorraine Flynn <lorraine -at- lorraineflynn -dot- com> wrote:
Thanks Richard. This is very useful.

What do you think about using RUP diagrams for the reverse engineering process? RUP is the methodology in use here (supposedly) so if I could use those it would be great.