Re: Starting a personal website

Subject: Re: Starting a personal website
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:46:03 -0400

iFaqeer (SIA) wrote:

I've heard very good things about DreamHost.com
On 10/12/06, Karen Murri [1]<kmurri -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

I'm working myself up to starting a personal website. Nothing fancy
or big,
just a place to showcase some of my work and pictures of my
critters.
I'm looking for advice on finding a web host. Anything I should
watch out
for or worry about? Any other advice or recommendations would be
appreciated.

I've been hosting a couple of websites on DreamHost for nearly two
years. One is an ecommerce site with a lot of images and the other is
an online resume/portfolio. They had a string of problems a few
months back when their mail server had the hiccups, but other than
that, it's been a great place to host sites.
As for advice in finding a web host, I would look at what is offered
for the money and how much hand holding you will need in the
beginning. (You can also "google" for web host reviews, but a word of
caution, some of the reviews are slanted.) Dreamhost has a nice
setup wizard, but tech support is via email.
If you need to talk to people, then check out local ISPs and see what
they offer. If you've never created a website before and you want to
keep it simple and personal, this is an excellent route. Once you get
the hang of things, you can always change web hosters.
Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design,

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: [2]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

See also:
note cards for all occasions)
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know
whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt