RE: Problems with new tech communicators

Subject: RE: Problems with new tech communicators
From: "Robert Landry" <robert -dot- landry -at- rapt -dot- com>
To: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>, "Sarah Dean" <sarahdean03 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:41:36 -0700

I think one important thing I've not seen mentioned in our assessment of
how to be successful as a new communicator...

DON'T BE AFRAID OF CRITICISM OR CRITIQUE.

If your document goes out to review and comes back bloody, be it from an
editor, SME, or whatever....remember, it all ultimately leads to a
better document. You will learn so much from other people this way. If
you are lucky enough to work with people that take time to read your
material, treat is as a precious resource...don't waste it, reuse it if
you can, and treat it kindly.

Defend your point of view, but be prepared to make compromises that
don't jeopardize relationships, especially early on.

Oh yeah, and plan or attend a happy hour every now and then ;)

Robert J. Landry
Senior Technical Writer
Rapt Inc.
415-932-2687 (office)