HAT advice - convert WinHelp to HTML Help

Subject: HAT advice - convert WinHelp to HTML Help
From: "Jessica N Lange" <jlange -at- mdc-dayton -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:17:41 -0400

After some time away, I'm back in the game: looking for a
new Help Authoring Tool. I've searched the web and mailing
lists and studied the excellent Help Authoring Tool
Comparison Matrix at helpstuff.com, but still seek advice.

I have a WinHelp project in maintenance mode, using
HelpBreeze (MS Word add-in). I use Dreamweaver for our
websites and try to keep up on all the latest web tech
& trends, but haven't thought much about help authoring.
Until now, when I learned Microsoft is deprecating WinHelp
in Vista.

Now I'm searching for a tool to convert WinHelp to HTML
Help or Vista help, and then to maintain the help.
What I'd like in a HAT:

- ability to import all the existing topics (Word files
or .hlp). It's a big, modular help system for three
different products.

- a good conversion from WinHelp to whatever (HTML, XML).
Don't want to have to redo all the build tags or rename
all the images.

- a vendor that is currently in business and still updating
their product for future technologies like Vista.

- a reasonable cost. The help file only requires minor
changes a few times a year.

- Oh, and an easy learning curve would be nice. I do more
software testing and web work these days than help authoring;
I'd rather not spend half my time figuring out how to use
the tool merely to add a paragraph.

Before I start installing trial versions and testing, I'd
welcome the advice of anyone with experience in converting
WinHelp to HTML Help.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jessica