Re: Chattiness in manuals

Subject: Re: Chattiness in manuals
From: Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>
To: dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:45:48 -0700

That's pretty sad. I once had a manager who did not want his employees
working from home, because he was convinced that when they were out of
the office, they weren't working. We jointly decided to come into the
office every day for a week, but not do anything, to see if he noticed
the difference.

Back in the old days, you could get into trouble for playing computer
games instead of working. Now you can just surf the Internet or chatter
on message lists, pretending to work while you goof off. Isn't
technology wonderful?

Chattiness in manuals: In moderation, please. Some manuals are very dry,
to be sure. As a software developer and writing professional I don't
mind that. I am not reading the manual to be entertained. A novice might
find an informal approach more relaxing.

I particularly dislike a chatty, informal, "arch" tone in books that are
supposed to be teaching me new technologies. Listen, if I wanted to be
entertained I'd read my collected Mad Magazines (on CD). Also, sir (you
know who you are), I can turn on C-SPAN and listen to people ramble on
and on; I do *not* need it in books. KISS.

Joe