Re: Can I Automatically Insert Section Breaks?

Subject: Re: Can I Automatically Insert Section Breaks?
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:38:23 +0530

Hi Richard,

On 10/17/06, Combs, Richard <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com> wrote:

I don't understand where the notion of a threat came from either. And I
understand the frustration of having provided a definitive answer that
seemed to be completely ignored -- I've been there. :-)

Thanks for the empathy! :-)

That said, Edgar, you can easily ensure that you always know if your
post made it to the list. Go to
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l, log in, and scroll
down to "Your TECHWR-L Subscription Options." The 4th option is "Receive
your own posts to the list?" Apparently, your subscription is set to No
(the default is Yes, so you probably changed this at some point). Change
it to Yes and click "Submit My Changes."

Er, no - I didn't remember changing this, but I just went and checked
anyway - it was set to Yes and has been ever since I joined the list.
My problem is GMail :-/ It shows me the mail *I* sent to the list, but
never the list-bounced message. This happens with various other
mailing lists I'm on, including those at Yahoo Groups. Before starting
on Gmail, this was indeed a good way for me to determine that my post
had been broadcast on the list; after I switched to Gmail, it's been
more obscure. Whether I use the web interface or POP the mail makes no
difference to this "hiding" of list bounces.

I like receiving my own messages to:

(a) Put them in the context of the conversation, not just in the
isolation of my Sent Items folder.

(b) Be sure they made it to the list and see when. In the last few
months, I've seen delays of up to several hours and occasionally a day,
so it's good to know what's happening -- or not, as the case may be.

BTW, these intermittent delays are sometimes reflected in the archives
and sometimes not. On some occasions when I haven't received any
messages from the list for a long time, I've checked the archives and
found new messages there that only arrived in my inbox much later.

I think many members have seen answers to queries before the questions
themselves, making for a rather disjointed experience. For example,
Geoff Hart's replies, which usually show up as a separate thread - I
often see his reply to a query well before the original query itself.
While his posts are very informative and educate me a lot, he does
quote selectively (which is again a virtue) but makes it a bit
difficult to reconstruct the original query. The original query
sometimes trickles into my inbox 2 or 3 hours later... :-( accompanied
with 2 or 3 replies in the same thread. :-)

Of course, the server makes up for its occasional lapses by periodically
resending a bunch of messages, too. Isn't that fun? Maybe the (ahem)
change in management will lead to fewer of these glitches.

I hope there is some improvement, too! And I do hope the owners have
overcome the hurdles they mentioned on the list, and are able to
administer the listserv effectively.

Regards,
Ed.