RE: Chattiness in manuals

Subject: RE: Chattiness in manuals
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: sara -dot- torok -at- se -dot- nucletron -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:17:09 -0400

If you're thinking of the "xxx for Dummies" and "Idiot's Guide to xxx"
kind of books, then yes, I suppose US writers are guilty of chatty
writing. But those are only a specific subset of all technical writing,
and they effectively target a specific market segment. And they are
easily avoided if you find them so annoying.

As to being paid by the word, I think you're off-base. The vast
majority of technical writing (but not the kind of writing you'll find
on the shelves of a technical bookstore) is done on a work for hire
basis, so the pay rate is either time-based or project-based. I suppose
that in a strictly project-based model, ther might be some incentive
to leave wordiness in rather than take the time to edit it well (was
it Mark Twain who wrote something like "I apologize for the length
of this letter. I didn't have time to make it shorter."?), but it's not
a major factor.

Independently published books that are generally done either on
spec or on a negotiated contract. The publisher's offer for a book
may be based in part on word count or page count (which is either
already known for a book written on spec, or part of the proposal
for a contract job), but the estimated market size for the book is
at least as big a factor, and that is dependent on the subject
matter rather than the size. And if you deliver a manuscript that
is longer than specified, you don't get paid extra for the extra
words.

From: SaraTörök <sara -dot- torok -at- se -dot- nucletron -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:21:10 +0200

Hi Dan

Depends on what you classify as manuals, but in school books (even at
university level) and technical litterature, the chatty style is much more
common from US writers than it is in Europe, and we tend to get quite
disturbed by it.

Paid by the word - probably not full-time technical writers so often, but,
again, for authors of hand books, tutorials, technical litterature, this
is much more common in US publications. Is this not true anymore?

Regards,
Sara
______________________
Sara Török
Technical Writer
Nucletron Scandinavia AB

Tel. +46 18 56 50 27
______________________

"Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+sara -dot- torok=se -dot- nucletron -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
2006-10-17 15:30

cc

Subject
RE: Chattiness in manuals

Hi Sara,

As you say, "maybe it's cultural," but I can't figure out your post (even
with the winking icon). Do you *actually* think that most American tech
writers write chatty manuals, and that most of them get paid by the word?

On both matters, even a cursory reading of TECHWR-L would prove you wrong.

Best Regards,

Dan

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified
that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or
the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please
notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message
immediately thereafter. Thank you.

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as sara -dot- torok -at- se -dot- nucletron -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/sara.torok%40se.nucletron.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/docudoc%40hotmail.com

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more?then map the best route! http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001