Re: So just do it already

Subject: Re: So just do it already
From: "Wade Courtney" <wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:57:53 -0700

Why are tech writers so curmudgeonly?

:)

On 10/19/06, Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

At the risk of perpetuating an off-topic thread, I must point
out that Joyce was not the only person you missed who
asked about the stupid damn monkey. I asked twice (albeit
as part of responses to some *real* topic) and received no
reply whatsoever. And that annoyed me enough that I now
would *love* to see an end to the whole thing.

>From: Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
>To: "Joyce Fetterman" <Joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
>CC: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>Subject: Re: So just do it already
>Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:06:00 +0200
>
>On Thursday 19 October 2006 20:56, Joyce Fetterman wrote:
> > Arroxane:
> > > This could be seen as a good lesson for technical writers in the
sense

> > that we should find a way to drag our audience in (kicking and
> > screaming, if necessary) to get them to pay attention to what they
need
> > to know--whether they are aware of the trick or not.<
> >
> > Sean Wheller:
> > << Actually, I can attest to the system working extremely well. Since
> > adding this line to my messages I have received between 2 and 5
messages
> > a day (serious). All from people who are very concerned with the
welfare
> > of the Monkey or just wanting to know what is up with that darn
> > Monkey.>>
> >

> > Maybe it works. But how many people were irritated to have been played
> > that way? And how many others were irritated to never get a response
> > (count me as one) when they _did_ ask. And how many people get tired
of
> > seeing the same nonsensical phrase over and over and over and over...
> >
> > I suspect that tricking an audience into reading a manual would
> > backfire. Being less-than-honest is just bad form, IMO.
>
>I think you miss the purpose of the excercise. So far nobody has shouted
me
>down, in fact most have given postive feedback and input the idea. These
>inputs have assisted me greatly in enhancing the response I give to any
>request I receive for info about the Monkey. Since I must have missed
your
>request I send info to you under seperate cover.
>
>--
>Ask me about the Monkey.
>
>Sean Wheller
>Technical Author
>sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za
>+27-84-854-9408
>http://www.inwords.co.za

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/wade.courtney%40gmail.com

Wade Courtney
North San Diego County
Yahoo: wcourtne
http://blog.stinkingbadges.org
http://www.frappr.com/elpicoso
http://www.myspace.com/elpicoso
http://www.linkedin.com/in/wadecourtney

If life were easy, everyone would be doing it.