Re: No job response -- what would you do? (long)

Subject: Re: No job response -- what would you do? (long)
From: Liz_Vela -at- bcbstx -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:15:48 -0500

Martha,

I would call the POC and ask for an interview. There's always a chance
you've been overlooked. When I was interviewing for my current job, I was
told after the second interview that I would receive an offer. Two weeks
passed and I didn't get an offer. I was offered another job and then
decided to call this company back. The recruiter said "Oh, didn't anyone
get back to you?" and then made me an offer on the spot. The point of my
story is, you never know what's going on inside the company. It doesn't
hurt to ask.

Liz

Liz

"Martha Rogers"
<marlynrogers -at- gma
il.com> To
Sent by: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
liz_vela=bcbstx.c
om -at- lists -dot- techwr-l Subject
.com No job response -- what would you
do? (long)

10/19/2006 12:48
PM

Three weeks ago today, I submitted a cover letter and resume to a
local software company. The job seemed very well-suited to my work
experiences and capabilities. Initially, I'd found the posting through
a little ingenuity and a good memory. I made a mental note about this
company while reading a newspaper article a few years ago. Sadly, when
my company started laying off people a few weeks ago, I figured it was
time to start looking. I did some googling and found the Web site of
the company I'd read about a few years back, despite their name having
changed. Their employment page listed several open positions,
including the one that seemed perfect for me. This isn't a huge
company; I think they employ about 30 people. When I e-mailed my
resume and cover letter, I used the company's employment@ e-mail
address provided on the Web page, marking the message for a read
receipt. Subsequently, I found the same position advertised on
Dice.com. After a week without getting a read receipt for my message,
I used the e-mail address of the POC on the Dice.com listing to send a
second resume and cover letter. In the second message, I expressed
concern that my first message might not have been received and offered
apologies for sending a second message.

While I understand that not receiving a read receipt doesn't
necessarily mean a message didn't get read (for example, reading via
the preview pane in Outlook), I am wondering what, if anything, I
should do now? I would like to call the guy identified as the POC on
Dice but don't want to seem pesky or pushy. But, Mom taught me that
followup is important after applying for a job. I'm pretty sure that's
how I got my job at KFC. Granted, that was high school and about 30
years ago but a week after I dropped off my application, she drove me
back to the KFC, waited in the car while I asked to speak to the
manager, and when I got back in the car, I had a job. But, I digress.

I really think I'd like this job; I'd at least like to get an
interview. The position no longer shows up on Dice.com. The company's
employment page lists the same undated positions as when I first
visited over three weeks ago. I haven't had to look for work in 12
and a half years. The whole job search process is oppressive to me.
Frankly, I'm not very good at it. Would you call the POC? Or do
*anything* to follow up?

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Liz_Vela -at- bcbstx -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/liz_vela%40bcbstx.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential, private, proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately at (312)653-6000 in Illinois; (800)835-8699 in New Mexico; (918)560-3500 in Oklahoma; or (972)766-6900 in Texas.