Re: XSLT woes--any experts out there?

Subject: Re: XSLT woes--any experts out there?
From: Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:56:30 +0200

On Friday 20 October 2006 21:04, Dick Margulis wrote:
> I have a project to create in InDesign template that imports an AuthorIT
> XML file. Because of the way the AuthorIT file is constructed (something
> I have no control over), Adobe's documentation tells me that I need to
> create my own XSLT file. Then Adobe's documentation goes off and washes
> its hair while sit stewing in the parlor.

You want to create an XSL that will transform the AIT XML to XML that InDesign
can read more easily. I assume you have information on the schema required by
InDesign or of an intermediate. If you already have a XSD or DTD of an
existing InDesign Document you could use that as a target reference.

> Questions:
>
> 1. Is there a Dummies book I should be reading?

Try w3schools or zvon.org

> 2. The XML file is already associated with the AuthorIT XSLT and
> namespace. Do I substitute the new ones or add the new ones?

You can remove the xsl processing instruction and the xml:ns

> 3. Is there anyone here who has worked with InDesign's XML import
> function and would be willing to point me in the right direction (maybe
> for a piece of the fee if the help is substantial)?

I don't use InDesign, but I do make extensive use of XML.

Before writing an XSL to transform XML to XML, try the import after removing
the xsl instruction and namespace. During import the InDesign filter should
allow you to map elements and create new ones to map to. If you have a large
number of elements to map, then it may be quicker to just write an XSL, but
mapping decisons would still need to be made.

I would have to see the AIT XML and your desired InDesign target to know
better.

Hope this helps,

--
The Monkey is resting.