Which product should we use?

Subject: Which product should we use?
From: "Samantha Montini" <s_montini -at- qwest -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:45:36 -0700

Hi there! I am a contract freelance writer just re-entering the field again after taking several years off to raise my kids! I recently secured a contract position with a small software development company where I will be writing training/procedure manuals and online help.

The first step involves working with the company to determine the best authoring tool for the project. Because I've been "out of the loop" for 5 years or so, I am no longer an expert on the available products. I would love to hear your expert opinions.

The company's goal is to have me document something once, then "re-purpose" it for hardcopy and online use. Three things they want to be able to provide from a single source are:
1.. Adobe PDF's for people to download and view/print on their own.
2.. Online help organized and linked to each screen.
3.. Customizable for clients. Ie. We deliver to them the source in some editable format and they can edit and customize it all they want to fit their specific needs.
Any suggestions? I know Framemaker is a popular tool for tech writers, but I haven't personally used it yet. Can you create both hard copy and online documentation with it? I apologize for my lack of expertise, and appreciate your feedback!

-Samantha Montini