Re: Showing sample and proprietary content

Subject: Re: Showing sample and proprietary content
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>, "Sean Wheller" <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:38:28 -0700

I've lugged samples with me to every interview I've taken in the past
15 years, but interestingly enough have not been asked for them for
the last three jobs I've had.

As a manager, I don't normally ask a candidate to bring samples, but
if I see that they've carted a portfolio of them along I do take a look,
probably just because they've taken the time to bring them. They
can sometimes serve as talking points, especially if there's anything
unusual about them. The one time I learned anything I considered
*really important* from a candidate's samples was when I
interviewed a fellow who worked for a company I had been with
after I had left. When he presented his samples, one of them was
from that company - and was a document that I had written while
there.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>

Seriously, for anyone who has previous tech writing experience, what
problem do samples address? In engineering, a manager can give you a
technical interview and quickly determine if you have the skill to do
the work. Can't a writing manager do the same thing?