RE: Formatting entries in a FrameMaker List of Tables

Subject: RE: Formatting entries in a FrameMaker List of Tables
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: cll01821 -at- lycos -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:31:24 -0400

This is normal behavior. When a hypertext marker is inserted in a
FrameMaker paragraph, the active area for the marker (the "hot
spot") extends from the marker forward until FrameMaker
encounters one of the following:
a) the end of the paragraph
b) a change in character formatting
c) a new hypertext marker
When you build a generated list file (i.e. TOC, LOF, or LOT, but
not an index) with hyperlinks enabled, FrameMaker inserts the
hypertext marker at the beginning of each entry. If the entry
does not use any character formatting, the entire entry including
the page number is active as a hyperlink. If you do use character
formatting, the active area only extends to the right to the point
where the formatting changes. If you use boldface text and a
plain page number (or vice versa), the page number will not be
active because it is on the far side of a formatting change.

Note that indexes behave differently because the assumption
is that there can be (and generally are) multiple page numbers
listed for any given entry. In an index, the hypertext marker
is placed just before each page number and none of the text
of any entry is active. This is completely logical, but I personally
find it annoying becaus the individual page numbers are rather
small targets for clicking, particularly when I'm using a trackball
(or touchpad or laptop pointing nubbin) rather than a real mouse.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "C L" <cll01821 -at- lycos -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:06:02 -0400 (EDT)

Does anyone recognize the following problem as a known FrameMaker
issue? If so, can anyone recommend a workaround?

The Environment:

Our TableTitle paragraph tag produces this: TABLE 54. Activity Logging
tab settings

It uses this Autonumber Format: T:TABLE <n+>, with Character Format
"Emphasis" applied.

The Emphasis character tag is set to As Is for the Font Family,
Regular Angle, and Bold weight.

The List of Tables reference page used:

openObjectId <$relfilename>:<$ObjectType> <$ObjectId>

<$paranum> <$paratext>
.......................<$pagenum>

The Problem:

When we generated the List of Tables, "TABLE" was in bold, as we
wanted. However, the page number was not an active link; in fact,
"TABLE n" was active. We think that most users expect to click a page
number, not a table number.

In the course of troubleshooting the problem, we discovered, through
experimentation, that removing the Emphasis character tag from
$paranum solved the problem. That is, the page number became active.

However, "TABLE" is now back in the default font, rather than in
bold.

Is this a known FrameMaker issue or are we missing some simple fact
about how to do this? Are there any known workarounds?

Carol

Add a Yahoo! contact to Windows Live Messenger for a chance to win a free trip! http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline