RE: No job response -- what would you do? (long)

Subject: RE: No job response -- what would you do? (long)
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "Condo, Candis" <ccondo -at- c-cor -dot- com>, "Ken Munro" <kenmunro -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Martha Rogers" <marlynrogers -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:02:15 -0500

Ken

Good data in the responses -- look at your job hunt as a full time job, and bring to it all the skills you would to your "day" job -- while it's not anyone's favorite gig, think about what life will be if you *don't* succeed at it. Waiting for the employer to find you is a lengthy process.

A good friend once suggested I look at it as if I were a sales person (at which I would definitely not succeed). For every X cold calls, Y (smaller than X) will show interest (respond). For every Y responses, Z (smaller than Y) will call you in for an interview. For every Z interviews, you'll get an offer. Numbers.

While this is cold comfort while contemplating your return to KFC, it works, beyond a doubt. The numbers may change given the present employment climate, but the concept is sound.

At the risk of repeating clichés, don't forget to work the heck out of your network. If this sounds too cold and calculating, rather than work your network, contact all your friends and colleagues and ex-bosses and your dry cleaner, and let em know you're in the market. This is also a first rate method to find employment.

Good luck with your search.

John Rosberg