Re: Content Management System versus Static (Dreamweaver)

Subject: Re: Content Management System versus Static (Dreamweaver)
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Tracey Austin" <Tracey -dot- Austin -at- hnhu -dot- org>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:30:36 -0400

Hi Tracey:

I am using RoboHelp for exactly what you are doing. It's working pretty well
so far. I have used WebHelp to build a "document library" that is in HTML
but with PDF attachments to the page if the users want to save a copy that
looks familiar to them. We are using merged WebHelp because of special
requirements for each department to have a "freestanding" section of the
library as well as to allow the whole thing (all departments) to be accessed
from the intranet.

So far, it's going very well. If you want details, let me know. We can talk
off list.

PT

On 10/19/06, Tracey Austin <Tracey -dot- Austin -at- hnhu -dot- org> wrote:

After questioning every developer I know, I decided to turn to this
group for a more decisive answer!

I'm a Technical Writer who has been charged with the task of creating a
new website to house all of our factsheets, pamphlets, q&a, online
surveys, etc.

We are currently using a CMS (Joomla) for our non-for-profit company
website (public health). We find the CMS to time consuming and not
reliable. Our .css continually gets dumped and simply posting a .pdf is
very time consuming. We are thinking about switching to Dreamweaver (we
currently use Adobe CS2 and RoboHelp for all else) but have been
cautioned against a static content site. Our site will have appx. 300
htm files and 100 pdf. Is Dreamweaver a wise choice? (Personally, I'd
like to roll the whole thing into a RoboHelp webhelp file!)

Tracey Austin

Information Developer

Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit

Phone:(519) 426-6170 Ext. 3203
Fax: (519) 426-9974
Email: tracey -dot- austin -at- hnhu -dot- org <mailto:tracey -dot- austin -at- hnhu -dot- org>

Visit: www.hnhu.org <http://www.hnhu.org>

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

Di
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!