Re: FWD: What to do about a recommendation?

Subject: Re: FWD: What to do about a recommendation?
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:38:01 -0600

On Tuesday, October 24, 2006, Bryan Sherman wrote:

> imho, the "right" thing to do is explain why you cannot give them a
> reference.

I agree.

I once worked with someone who was asked to submit a letter of
resignation because of performance issues. A few months down the
road, he called to tell me he was applying for a tech writing job (not
his duties here), and he asked if I would act as a reference.

It was a very uncomfortable situation (thankfully, it was a phone
call), but I had to tell him that I would not feel comfortable acting as
a reference and I told him why. I then went on to tell him that I *did*
think he did an excellent job when training customers (because, he
was a good teacher).

If you don't tell the truth up front, the person may "needle" you until
you are forced to tell them in the end. At that point, he person knows
you were not forthcoming, and I think that's even a worse situation.

2 cents,

Dana W.