RE: Portfolios and examples

Subject: RE: Portfolios and examples
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:52:54 -0400

Ken Poshedly wrote,

"I found out later that the entire PR department had pretty much walked
out en masse just before I hired in, and my ex-supervisor herself was
the first new hire who was apparently rushed in to get things going
again."

**************

My point exactly, when I suggested that it's important to do our research
before spending time and effort and money on an interview. Don't just talk
to employees, try to find past employees and people who know people who work
there or have worked there. I would work at the call center again rather
than knowingly walk into the situation described above.

I've been cheeky enough to walk into the local diner or watering hole and
ask "So how is that XYZ plant as a place to work, anyway?". Bartenders and
waitresses hear things. If they share useful information (good or bad), don
't forget to leave a $20 tip.

Zen archery: first, have a target (know what you want to hit).

Mapmaking: start by establishing the boundaries.

Goal QPC (http://www.goalqpc.com) has published a great little report for
less than $10, "The Voice of the Customer". Lots of good research and
between-lines info mining ideas.

Dori Green