RE: subscript 2

Subject: RE: subscript 2
From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "techielmb" <techielmb -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:45:02 -0700

techielmb wrote:

> I'm working in a CAD package that doesn't have much in
> the way of text formatting, but does allow use of
> Alt-xxxx to produce special characters. I've figured
> out how to make a superscript 2 using Alt-0178, and
> now am looking for a subscript 2. I couldn't find
> anything on www.unicode.org or anywhere else I
> searched (I did find one chart on unicode.org, but the
> key sequence they listed didn't work--Alt-2082--it
> produces a box in the CAD software and in Word, and
> quote marks here in my email).

Lisa:

There are two problems; you can fix them both.

1. The numeric-keypad ALT-xxxx method of entering characters expects
DECIMAL numbers. "U+2082" is the HEXADECIMAL code point for the
"subscript 2" character, so typing ALT-2082 won't give you the character
you want; you need to type ALT-8322 instead. In Word, you can also just
type "8322" and then hit ALT-X afterward... Same effect, but without the
requirement to use the numeric keypad.

2. The font you're using may not contain the subscript-2 character. In
Word (to be safe, since I know it will display Unicode characters and
I'm not sure what your CAD package's capabilities are), try ALT-8322 in
the font you want to use; change the font if necessary to make it
display properly, then use that font in your CAD package.

If your CAD package still doesn't display the subscript-2 character when
you type ALT-8322 in a font known to contain it, I guess the last resort
would be to generate the character in Word, then cut-and-paste it into
the CAD program.

Good luck... And keep in mind that if the CAD drawing is ever opened in
an environment that doesn't have your font (or is sent to a printer that
doesn't have it), it may lose the subscript-2 character. You may want
to add a note to the drawing that says something like "Text in this
drawing uses Unicode characters. If this character (2) doesn't appear to
be a subscript two, please mess with your fonts until it does" or
whatever.

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA