Small Reference Guides?

Subject: Small Reference Guides?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Shenton, David (DTRN)" <david -dot- shenton -at- smithsdetection -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:43:20 -0400

David Shenton wondered about: <<... the use of screen shots that I have reduced in size to fit our Reference Guides. The guide consists of 15 pages 8.5 x 5.5, which leaves limited space for screen shots. The reference guides include procedural extracts from our main source manuals and associated graphics and screen shots... the screens that I reduce to fit (for reference) are small and some of the text is not readable... does it really matter that you can not see the text "again I just want them to have an idea of what the screens look like".>>

Think first about what it is you're trying to communicate with the screenshots. If the only important point is the position within the larger screen, then it's not necessary for the text to be readable or the shape of a graphical component (e.g., an icon) to be clear and distinct. This can work well for concepts such as "the menus appears here, the status bar appears there, and the display output appears somewhere else".

On the other hand, if the text itself or the precise shape and color of an icon or button are important, then they must be legible--at least enough so that they can be distinguished from other text and icons. In that case, the solution is twofold: either provide an enlarged and legible image of just the key visual point (e.g., the icon), or provide a highly reduced image of the full screen with the relevant area highlighted, thereby showing the reader where to look, accompanied by a full-size callout of only the specific text or icon, thereby showing the reader what to seek in that part of the screen.

If neither location nor representation is important, you don't need a graphic at all. But the key point in each case is to choose a size and resolution sufficient to show the thing you're actually trying to show. Start by defining what it is you need to show, and only after you've done that should you try to determine the appropriate graphical treatment.

www.geoff-hart.com