Re: Word TOC loses formatting

Subject: Re: Word TOC loses formatting
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: jans_baked_goods -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:51:58 -0500

Hi, Jan and everyone.

I've followed your directions, and they do store the formats. However, when I regenerate the TOC, what happes is, Word assigns TOC1 to my Chapter, Preface, Appendix, and Index headings AND to my Heading 1s.

I can go into Insert/Reference/Indexes and Tables/Options and manually reassign the levels, so Chapter, Preface, Appendix, and Index headings are level 1, and Heading 1 is level 2. I bump all the Headings down one level.

I click OK and see nothing additional to click (like maybe a button that says "I Really Mean It. Save These Settings! Puhleeze!")

When I regenerate the TOC, my reassigned levels are overwritten with the Word defaults.

Has anyone figured this out?

--Nancy

jans_baked_goods wrote:

Hi Nancy,
I've had this problem as well.
Here's what I've done to solve it:

1. Select the existing TOC.
2. Insert, Reference, Index and Tables, change to the
Table of Contents tab. Formats should be "From
Template"
3. Click Modify. You see the Style window.
4. Select the first TOC level, click Modify and make
your changes in the Modify Style window. Make sure
you have selected Automatically Update. Select OK to
save the style, exit out of the Modify Style window,
and return to the Style window.
5. Repeat step 4 for each TOC level.
6. Click OK to exit the Style window and return to
Index and Tables.
7. Click OK on Index and Tables. When you get the
pop up "Do you want to replace the selected table of
contents", select OK. Your TOC should look exactly as
you formatted it in Steps 4 and 5.
8. Save the document.

These style changes are saved with the document
template and should remain in place unless you change
them again.

Hope this helps.

jan