RE: Negotiating

Subject: RE: Negotiating
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:10:54 -0600

I've found that the 70-75% range seems to be a reasonable expectation.
It all depends on where you fall in the tax bracket -- I've been at the
high end of a lower tax bracket (nice!), and at the low end of a higher
tax bracket (which REALLY bites). I once had a small pay increase which
bumped me up a bracket, and I ended up taking home less that I was
before. Go figure.

Also, do you have to pay for some/all of your insurance premiums, will
you have money taken out for a 401K, etc.? While the 401K is your
money, it's not in your pocket, so make budget plans without it. Assume
taking home a lower percentage, and see if that's something that you can
work with. Anything above that becomes a bonus.

And the 401K... if you don't have one, get one started on day 1 of work.
I contracted for years, and I really regret not setting aside some of
those bigger paychecks into retirement funds. I'm trying to make up for
it now, which isn't fun. It helps that the company has matching funds,
but I'm way behind where I should be.

Carla

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.