Re: Article: Hiring Managers Reject More than Half of Candidates Based on Web Postings

Subject: Re: Article: Hiring Managers Reject More than Half of Candidates Based on Web Postings
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:28:35 -0500

Ugh! Some of us have exceptionally common names. Google reveals at least
several of me, in a total of about 25,000 records. If I include my
middle initial, it finds only six records, five of them probably mine.
The other is mayor of a town in (I think) Maine.

How will they know who's me and who isn't? On blogs and wikis I use
a pseudonym, but other Peter Neilsons might not.

Hey, one of my own records is a book for sale on Amazon, a sys admin
guide that I forgot I had written!!! Oh, it's listed as not available,
and no one has reviewed it. I wrote it so long ago that it must
have moss growing on it. Dead moss.

Google also wants to re-spell my name to the Danish spelling that our
family abandoned when immigration happened to us. Were I to do that, I
would discover (hold on a minute) 558 with the middle initial, and
a whopping 291,000 without it. Denmark is chock-full of me.

Pro TechWriter wrote:

Gosh, WHAT did they find???
Wow, better disguise that blog, huh?

On 11/1/06, Martinek, Carla <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com> wrote:

I thought this article was worth sharing.
-Carla

Survey: Employers Scrutinizing Internet Postings
Hiring Managers Reject More than Half of Candidates Based on Web
Postings

Of those hiring managers who used Internet search engines to research
job candidates, 51 percent did not hire the person based on what they
found. Of those who used social networking sites to research candidates,
the majority (63 percent) did not hire the person based on what they
found.

Full article available at
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/10/jobs_internet.html