Re: First time for everything

Subject: Re: First time for everything
From: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 00:54:09 -0500

On 11/5/06, James Barrow <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

Hello All,

Last week I posted a message regarding finding a website to calculate my
take home pay once I went full time.

Although I received an application and disclosure form from my current
employer's HR department, and have verbally accepted my manager's offer of
full time, I have procrastinated in sending the application back to HR.
Why? Well, although the compensation that I was offered is good, last week
was the Week of Personality Conflicts. I began to wonder if I really wanted
to work in that environment.

At the same time, I received two calls from recruiters regarding job
positions in the same industry. The pay range for both of these positions
are significantly more than what I was offered from my current employer.
Sig.nif...i.cant.ly.

To keep my options open, I authorized the recruiters that called to submit
me to the client companies.

As an FYI, I have completed the project that I was originally hired for.
That being said, here is Jim's short list of ethical dilemmas questions:

1. Since the last thing I told my manager before he left to work
off-site was that I accepted his offer of full time, I'm guessing that later
refusing that offer AND submitting my resignation would burn this bridge.
Everyone concur? Disagree?

Not totally burned. We're all professionals and a better offer is a
better offer. Don't resign though until you have a signed contract.
Never count your chickens before they're hatched!

2. Has anyone here refused a full time offer and opted to remain as a
contractor?

3. If I do refuse the full time offer to work for another company, have
I violated any sort of ethics? I mean, I did complete the project that I
was hired for.

You did what you were hired to do, and did it so well, they offered
you a permanent job.>

4. Although I believe that honesty is the best policy, what the heck am
I going to tell my manager is the reason for declining his offer *and*
resigning? I really don't think it's appropriate to discuss the personality
conflicts I mentioned above (makes me sound like a whiner).

5. What should I tell my current recruiter (since I actually work for
him)?

6. What should I tell the perspective employers if/when I have the
respective interviews? You know the standard question: "Why did you leave
your last employer?"

The contract ended. Short and simple.>

Believe me when I say that I am fairly able to deal with just about anybody,
but last week was a nightmare. Imagine every
quirky/arrogant/abrasive/obnoxious co-worker you've ever had the displeasure
to work with, and that was what last week was like for me.

Your comments are appreciated,

Jim

Subveni, Domine! Habemus aliam felem!
(Lord help us! We have another cat!)

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/suzette.leeming%40gmail.com

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditiones habes.