Weird PDF problem

Subject: Weird PDF problem
From: "David Boss" <bosscomm -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:03:48 -0500

I am having a strange problem when viewing PDF files with EPS graphics that
contain the Arial font. When you look at the graphics at normal size, in all
instances the letter "l" appears much wider than the rest of the letters so
the text looks very odd. If you start zooming in, by 400% they only look
slightly heavier and by 800% they look normal. There's no problem with
printed pages, so I assume it's only a display problem. And If I change the
font the problem disappears (unfortunately I have a book with about 40
complicated graphics so changing fonts is not a viable option).

I verified the problem in Acrobat 7 Professional and Acrobat Reader 7 on my
computer and using Reader 7 on another system. On a third system with Reader
5 the text appeared OK although not as clear, but when I installed Reader 7
it too showed the same problem. And it doesn't matter how the PDF files are
generated -- FrameMaker, PageMaker, save as PDF, print to Adobe PDF, etc.
and whether text is saved as text or curves in the EPS file when exporting
from Corel Draw.

All systems are running Windows XP SP2 and have different graphics cards.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David Boss

Boss Communications
mailto:david -at- bosscommunications -dot- com www.bosscommunications.com
Phone 905-824-1384 Toll free 1-877-824-7607 Fax 416-946-1330
Mississauga, ON